Thursday, October 12, 2006

I Know Who She Is

It was approximately 8:30 a.m. on a busy morning at the doctor's office when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry to make an appointment at 9:00 a.m.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it might be an hour before he would be seen. Seeing him look at his watch, I decided since I was not busy with another patient I would evaluate his wound. On exam, I saw it was well healed, so I talked to the doctor and got the supplies to remove his sutures.

While redressing his wound, we engaged in conversation. I asked him if he was in a hurry to meet another doctor's appointment. He said no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health. He said that she was a long-time victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

I asked if she would be worried if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was; in fact, she had not recognized him in five years. I was surprised and asked, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled, patted my hand, and said, "She doesn't know who I am, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left. Goose bumps covered my arm as I thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life!"

True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. (via HouseToHouse.com)

No comments: