Sunday, March 16, 2008

Irony of the Irish Holy Day?


As I have commented before in this column, Sunday mornings are one, if not the only time, the streets are "dead" here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. As we travel to go and worship on Sunday mornings, we NEVER have to worry about the traffic...there is none. Even when we get out of worship services and go to lunch, we are usually one of the first people at the restaurant around 1:00 pm. But that was not the case this morning.


I noticed on my way to worship that there seemed to be more people out than usual and when I left services to go to our favorite restaurant, I hit a major traffic jam. It wasn't long before I passed a float and realized I had come upon the ending of the "St. Patrick's Day" parade in, coincidentally, San Patricio, the shopping area I was headed for. The crowd was enormous and it took me a while to make my way through to the parking garage.

As I sat in the traffic, I thought how ironic; here are all of these people celebrating the life of a deeply religious man who devoted himself to worshipping and serving God (though I disagree with his theology, he did devote himself to what he believed was worship to God) and yet the only time you will see them up and out on the "Lord's Day" is if they can have a party. What would Patrick think? Would he be pleased to know that the legacy he has left behind has become nothing more than green tinsel and shamrocks, green beer and parades with leprechauns?

But, then again, isn't that what so many have done with the life of Christ as well. They have reduced His legacy to nothing more than hiding Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies in Spring and Christmas trees with packages in Winter and this was not a man we celebrate, but the very Son of Jehovah God--Creator of the universe! What must He think????

Humans have a way, through their arrogance, of trivializing greatness. We have a way of making common that which is extraordinary. We have done it with everything from the honor that should be given to the office of the presidency to respect for (or lack of respect for) the American flag, from disrespect for motherhood to calling the miracle of conception of human life nothing more than unwanted "tissue". We have even reduced the awesomeness of a Divine Creator into nothing more than a "Big Bang". Aren't we amazing! or is it that we are just plain foolish?

The irony of the parade today, the fact that we CAN all get up early on Sunday morning, points to our total disrespect for Greatness; our disrespect for our Great, Loving, Patient and always Merciful Father who loves us despite our utter disregard for Him and His commandments to assemble with the saints on the Lord's Day.

Dana Burk

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Hi Dana. I am not necessarily commenting on your St. Paddy's day blog. I just wanted to say hello and that I am very encouraged by the work you are doing in PR. I am going to check out your book too!
Marissa

Michelle Maddocks said...

Good thoughts! Sorry I didn't read them until now. Trusting that you are well.