Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Most Treasured




I took down all the vestiges of Christmas yesterday and cleaned the house thoroughly. While putting away the decorations and cleaning the guest bedrooms, I found left behind toys of the grand kids, cookie crumbs their parents had dropped and pieces of torn wrapping paper and bows scattered here and there. Sweet memories of a festive holiday enjoyed.

Reflecting over the past year is something I always find myself doing after the holidays. Someone has said, "Remember that when you take inventory of the things you treasure most, none will have been purchased with money." Isn't that the truth! We had an additional member this year at our Christmas celebration--our youngest grandchild is only 9 months so this was her first Christmas with us. Her three year old sister and 6 year old cousin will have you hurting from laughter with their country accents and hilarious anectdotes. What a joy each of the grandchildren are.

Our daughter, not yet married, came and spent five days with us -- some much coveted time -- she and I are very close and yet have little time together. One of our sons helped his father finish a small project on the shed--time they enjoyed together.

All the things that I enjoyed this holiday season were not bought with money. Yeah, we purchased gifts for everyone and it was fun watching them each open them, but that isn't what I treasure most. As I reflect back on the past year, none of the things I treasure can be bought with money. I have learned that the material things of this life are temporary and can be gone in a moment, but relationships and memories will last a lifetime and no one or nothing can take them from you. Take time this coming year to put your effort and time into things that are truley meaningful.

"Remeber that when you take inventory of the things you treasure most, none will have been purchased with money."

Dana Burk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! I had such a wonderful time too this past week and have reflected on it too :)

Love - Kris