Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Why Is it Harder For Women?

We have a preacher from Puerto Rico (where we will be moving Lord willing in May) visiting us this week and so my husband invited a couple of other men who have an interest in Spanish work over for lunch today. As I was cleaning the kitchen and overhearing their conversations I began to think about how for each of them going on "mission trips" and working in foreign cultures seems to be no big deal. The sacrifices that it requires for each of them doesn't appear to be a sacrifice in their minds.

In our ladies Bible class this morning we were discussing in Romans 12 where Paul encourages us to be "living sacrifices" in our service to Him. I don't know about you, but I struggle with that. And it seems to me that it is harder for women than for men (or maybe we just wear our feelings on our sleeves and it is much more obvious). The move we are about to make is very, very difficult for me, but not to the same degree for my husband. I suppose that is a good thing or we would not be going. You think God knew what he was doing when he made man different than woman?

I do envy at times the "toughness" of my beloved husband.

Dana Burk

No comments: