Friday, June 22, 2007

Cool Indeed


There are some very cool things about living here in the Caribbean. (At least I think they are cool.) As I was sitting at my desk today working, I looked out the window and there sat an iguana about 5-6 feet long grazing on some tiny flowers in my backyard. I hollered at my husband to find the camera as the iguana was making his way to the fence between me and the next door neighbors. I got one shot of him just before he climbed the fence only to be spotted by the neighbor's two dogs who began to bark incessantly at him.


I walked out onto the porch, now only about 10 ft. from him and he spotted me. The poor thing sat teetering on the top of the chain-link trying to figure out what to do. The harassing dogs were on one side and I was on the other. Several times he almost slipped and fell over with the dogs. My husband tried to coax the dogs away with a piece of cheese, but it just was not as tempting as that whole iguana. They were going nowhere. We watched the poor thing struggle for a few minutes and debated what to do. We have seen those things whip their long tails and have heard they can give you a good thrashing.


But, have no fear, the very courageous four year old twin girls from next door rushed out with their toy broom and pitch-fork and knocked the huge dragon off the fence away from the dogs. It quickly scurried down the hill toward the creek and all the excitement was over for the day.


Oh, the life and excitement in the tropics.


Dana Burk

1 comment:

Michelle Maddocks said...

That sounds good! Having recently relocated to Canada from Florida, I find tropics stories most refreshing. :) Hope you are well.