Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Power of Gratitude

There was an article today on MSN by Newsweek reviewing a book by Deborah Norville titled Thank You Power. She asserts and scientifically defends that people who are thankful can not only live longer, but are smarter, better negotiators and faster learners as well as suffer from fewer allergies, headaches and even exercise more. In general, the thankful person is a happier person.

As I read the article I thought of Romans 1:21 where the apostle Paul discusses the vile condition of the Gentiles who forgot God. He states that, "although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened." (NKJV) In passages like 1 Thess. 5:18, Heb. 13:15 and Phil. 4:6 we have been commanded to give thanks or be thankful, but who knew we would live longer and be smarter for doing so.

Once again, I am reminded of how the commandments of God are for our own good. How easy it would be to think that God wanted our thankfulness and gratitude for His own glory and honor which He certainly deserves, but here we learn this too is for our own benefit.

I took the time today to look up in a concordance "thanks", "thanked", "thankful", "thanksgiving" and the many other forms of the word and was amazed at how many times they were used and found it interesting to see who used them. Paul was an avid user of the words. Isn't it interesting, that the man we know suffered so much persecution in this life, found so much to be thankful for. Truly a lesson is there in his life.

How thankful are you? How much do you express that thankfulness and gratitude? Want to be happier and live longer? Let God know you are thankful for all the blessing He gives you each day.

Dana Burk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything good we have in this life is from God. May He have mercy on us when we gripe and complain about the good things in our lives. How many times I caught myself complaining about my small kitchen. Shame on me; I'm no better than the Israelites who were destroyed because of they're grumbling. I have repented and one way I keep myself from repeating that offense is I finally realized that my kitchen (i.e.,home) is a gift from God. How dare I criticize His good gift to me! What arrogance that is! If one of my children complained about a gift I had given them, I would be heartbroken. Now, my heart breaks to know I did that to my Father.