Saturday, January 12, 2008

Another Matted Puppy


I recently started grooming dogs part-time to make a little extra income. I do it from my home on a side porch and it has been fantastic. Nobody loves animals more than me so this is quite my cup of tea.


I frequently have brought to me dogs that have been let go and their hair is so matted that the only thing left to do is to strip all the hair off and start over. Today was the worst I have ever seen. A very nervous, adult Shih Tzu was brought to me that was so matted you couldn't even find it's skin. On it's left side were two hairless places, each about the size of a half dollar, that were exposed and looked tender. The lady quickly dropped it off with instructions to "just shave it". I asked if she had had it to the vet about the sores and she said no, she would do that. I hesitantly took the dog anyway and after she left removed it from the carrier it came in and placed it on my grooming table. As I began removing the matted areas I worked very carefully around the sores. To my horror, under the matted area surrounding the sores was a huge area of raw flesh. The dog was scared and obviously in pain. I cut away what mats I could without any further clipping and called the dogs owner to tell her she needed to come and pick the dog up and take it to the vet. That was over an hour and a half ago and I am still waiting for her to return.


This incident has really disturbed me. I have often said to my husband that if people are going to have these kinds of dogs, Shih Tzus, Yorkies, Maltese, (you know the really cute fuzzy ones) then they need to take care of them and brush them occasionally. They bring them to me once every six months (or longer) and then wonder why I can't comb out all the mess. You know, isn't that what we do with our lives sometimes. We become Christians and are so zealous and excited about the new beginning, the clean slate--like that cute, clean puppy with pink skin that we bring home--and we have the best of intentions about tending to our spiritual needs on a regular basis just like we promised ourselves we would take care of that new puppy. But, as all too often happens, we get busy with things of this world: work, school, the house, kids, you fill in the blank, and we neglect our relationship with God and the mess can't be just combed out.


If we are not careful, what I saw today can happen to us as well. We can become so matted and dirty, tangled up with this world, that under all the mess that is created in our lives because of spiritual neglect are festering, putrefied sores that require emergency care and if further neglected, they can result in an infection so severe that it can kill us. Jesus is that emergency care that we all need so desperately from time to time.


Today has been a tough day in the grooming business--I also had a young Maltese puppy, 11 months old, brought to me who also was going to have to be stripped because of the mats (thankfully she was not in the same condition as the first) but the first thing this puppy did was bite as we removed it from the cage. The adult owners could not even get it out and had their 10 yr. daughter remove it. We tried to muzzle the puppy and it was much too viscous for that. Again, another case of severe neglect and lack of socialization. I had to send the puppy back home because it refused to allow me to help it. Jesus is our Good Shepherd that wants to daily tend to our needs and keep us in tip top condition if we will only submit to Him. But sometimes we are like that little Maltese that refuses to be helped.
God allows us to completely strip ourselves of the sins and entanglements of this world if we will let Him groom us each day through His Word. Don't neglect your spiritual self.
Dana Burk

No comments: