Sunday, April 02, 2006

Criticism

Criticism is an ugly, ugly word. I have been laboring over the writing of a book for weeks now and am about to send the first chapters for review to the publisher, so I have had two of my children, who are quite gifted with the written word, to critique it for me. Ouch!!!!! Man, are they critical. The worst of it is, most of the time I have to agree with their corrections and suggestions. Nevertheless, it is still painful to see how many errors I have made.

The criticism we receive when we read God's word is sometimes no less painful. It can point out so clearly our many faults and shortcomings. It can even point out how the things we have labored in and believed all of our lives are wrong. Hebrews 4:12 says the word of God is "sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the division of the soul and spirit...and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." And, just like with the critiquing of my book, it is painful to see how many errors we have made.

I have chosen to make many, if not most, of the corrections my "critics" have suggested because I know in so doing I will have a better book. My "critics" are only humans with imperfect judgments. God's word, however, is divine; it is perfect judgment. If I will listen to human criticism and make changes for my own good, how much more should I be willing to listen to divine criticism and make changes for eternal salvation. Something for each of us to think about.

Dana Burk

No comments: