Friday, June 02, 2006

He Comes Home Tomorrow

My husband and I have been married well over a quarter of a century and have settled into our own "hum-drum" routines in life. We spend a lot of time together, but we also spend a great deal of our time working on our own "projects". I am a very independent woman and feel I am pretty self-sufficient. But, when he goes out of town (which he does quite frequently), I am sooooo ready for him to return.

Tol has been gone for 15 days now and I passed lonely days ago. It is so quiet and so serene in the house while he is gone--even the dogs are not as lively. I have been extremely busy trying to finish up the last chapter of a book I have been writing as well as preparing for VBS in two weeks and yet I have still found time to miss my sweetheart.

I thank God for the incredible man I have and I know I have been blest with the kind of marriage God intended each of us to have. I find, when he is gone, I reflect on the blessing he is to me in a way I rarely do when he is around. Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.

In a way, I suppose I am fortunate that he travels frequently, because it causes me to miss him and appreciate him more. How sad, if we go through life, not realizing how important the most significant person is in our lives. I know how important mine is and he comes home tomorrow.

Dana Burk

No comments: