Thursday, June 15, 2006

Talking About Billions of Miles...

As I was preparing for the Ladies Bible class I teach on Wednesday evenings, I looked up some info on what scientists know about the size of the universe. I knew from what I studied back in the dark ages when I was in school that it was enormous, but wow! had I forgotten how enormous.

One thing I read said that the center of our galaxy was 26,000 light years away from where we are. One light year is 10 billion kilometers. That means in an airplane, it would take us billions of years to get to the center of our galaxy and if that is not enormous enough, scientist say they know that the universe contains about 200 billion (with a "b") other galaxies.

These numbers are mind boggling to me and there were even more. But what is most awesome about all of it, the universe, is that our God made it. Solomon said that heaven and the heaven of heavens could not contain our God--I would assume that is the universe. How GREAT He truly is. Yet in all His power and glory, He is mindful of me. Who am I that He would even know my name and yet He does. He loves me, He cares for me, He even died for me. What is it He could ever ask of me that would be too much. Rather, how priviledged I am to be called His child. That is how awesome He is.

Next time you come across a command in the Bible that you find difficult to obey, remember who it is you serve and what all He has done for you--it will make obedience a lot easier.

Dana Burk

No comments: