Monday, June 26, 2006

Total Apostasy

I couldn't help but overhear a conversation at lunch today of two gentlemen who were sitting across from our table. They were discussing the quarterly budget for their respective churches. One commented how the board of directors, elected by the congregation, presented the budget to the church and how pleased he was that the "pastor" did not take part in the forming of the budget. They proceeded to discuss the "politics" of the congregation and its many programs.

Not once in their conversation was ANYTHING said about the scriptures, God, Jesus, Biblical authority, etc. I was astounded at how "secular" the whole discussion was. When Tol joined me, I relayed the parts of the conversation I had heard and we talked about how foreign it was to one we would have about our "church". I said, "How did they get so far from the word?" He answered, "Little by little--one step at a time."

As I have thought about that, I realize we are only one step away from following their path. All we have to do is leave the authority of the scriptures over one small thing and then we are on our way down the same path to total apostasy as so many of the churches around us today. Jesus said all authority had been given to Him, thus confining each of us to the bounds of His word. It takes diligence to seek to always follow His authority in all things.

Dana Burk

No comments: