Monday, May 15, 2006

Don't Throw Out the Baby

I was visiting with an acquaintance of mine today who left the church apparently 25 or so years ago. She is a very kind and gracious woman who would do anything for you. As we talked about our weekends, she told me she went to church yesterday with her parents at the congregation in which she grew up. She began to reminisce about different ones and old memories over the years.

Finally, I asked her where she went to church now. She replied that she didn't, to which I inquired what she believed (we both agreed this was a rather broad question). She told me she still believed in the Bible and in God. After discussing our need to do what the Bible says for a few moments and the imperfections of any given local congregation (she quit attending church apparently because of the inconsistent behaviors of some members and what she viewed as a lack of love on some members parts), I said to her, "You can't throw the baby out with the bath-water and that is what you are doing." I then invited her to come and visit with us where I attend. I don't know if she will but I am praying for her. I hope you will pray for her also.

I have reflected throughout the day on our conversation this morning. How often we do what my friend has done--if things aren't perfect, we just throw out the baby with the bath-water rather than work on the imperfections--it is the easier way. Jesus said broad is the way that leads to destruction and many will go in by it. It is the path of least resistance--it requires nothing from me. If we are to be pleasing to our Heavenly Father, it will require that we "WORK out our own salvation with fear and trembling"--notice it is WORK. It will require effort and yes, some emotions and pain. Being a Christian is not for the cowardly. In fact, we are told in Rev. 21:8 that the cowardly and unbelieving along with the murderers, the sexual immoral, idol worshipers, etc. will have their place in Hell that burns with fire and brimstone. We must be willing to put real effort into our walk with God and that means putting effort into a relationship with His church.

I believe my friend has just been living a life of least resistance and yet, I could tell that as she is growing older her life is lacking something. I'm not sure she realizes yet that it is Jesus she is lacking, but I'm am hoping and praying she will soon see that. When adversity arises in the church, don't be like my friend and throw out the baby; just throw out the bath-water and then work on developing the baby into a mature and whole Christian. In eternity, it will have been worth all the effort.

Dana Burk

No comments: