Monday, May 01, 2006

My Cousin

I recently saw a cousin that I have not seen in about 16 years and we have been e-mailing one another and renewing our acquaintance. She and I were extremely close all the time we were growing up and simply drifted apart as adults. I don't think I have ever slowed down long enough in my life to realize how desperately I have missed her until the last week or so and I find myself becoming extremely sentimental every time the thought of her crosses my mind.

My daughter just recently visited with her while she was on a business trip near where my cousin works and they were able to spend some quality time together and get acquainted. Family is so important to all of us and I guess it does not matter how long or how far apart we are, truly blood is thicker than water. I plan to find the means and the time to go in the next few months and spend several days with her--she and I both need that.

But just as important as our "blood" relatives are to us, even so are the brothers and sisters we have in Christ Jesus. Through the years, as I have lived thousands of miles from my family, it has been the family of God that has been so terribly important in my life. I am so thankful to our Lord and Father above for providing us with family (through Jesus Christ) wherever we may be.

Be thankful for both of the faimilies that God has given you. Call someone today in your family who you have not talked to recently and make it a special day for both of you.

Dana Burk

No comments: