Thursday, May 11, 2006

Humble People

Humble people don't think less of themselves--they just think of themselves less. (borrowed)

I have to really work on this one. It is difficult when I hurt or am tired, when I am stressed or angry, to not think of me and what I want. These are the times I struggle in thinking of others.

But not only is the difficulty in thinking of others, we sometimes struggle in thinking about the things of God because we are so focused on ourselves. We are having a Gospel Meeting this week and I have been amazed at the number of calls we have received with people's reasons (excuses) for not being able to attend. Certainly some of them are genuine, but I am afraid many are simply because their focus is not on God. They can go to work or shopping or whatever else they do all day, but by the time it comes to worship, they just don't feel like it. "Humble people just think of themselves less."

Jesus said in Matt. 5:3, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven." We must learn to take our focus off of "us" and put it on others and especially on the things of God. When we do, not only will we inherit the kingdom of Heaven, but we will probably find we feel a lot better too.

Dana Burk

No comments: